Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Awe.Some.

So with the Olympics going on, I have been thinking about sports for Dakin. Granted, he's probably not going to be on the local soccer team, but that's ok. Know why? Because there's...

POWER SOCCER!!!

Yep, that's right. Soccer in a power chair. Just for your information, the USA Power Soccer Team are the reigning World Cup champs. So cool, right?

All you need is a little bumper thing on the bottom of the chair and a little bigger ball and you're good to go. Well, I guess you also need a team, of which there is a major paucity in our area, but fear not. We'll just start our own. I won't tell you the name, though, because it's too cool and someone will steal it.

Ok, maybe I will. I can't resist. The East Texas Rolling Thunder. I know, right? AWESOME. Let it be known that if someone steals our name, they suck. But I digress.

Anyhoo, once we get Dakin's power chair, we are going to work on soccer. I think he's going to have a ball (tee hee) pushing around a soccer ball in his chair. You can even go to power soccer camp. Awesome!

We also have a winter sport picked out. Turns out that the only paralympic sport in chairs is curling. I found some neat pics, but I can't upload them for some reason, so check them out!!
So not only will he be a genius hedge fund manager, he will be an Olympian and a soccer star.

Ok, so I know there was a lot of 'awesome' in this post, but I'm excited!

10 comments:

Kristy said...

Yay! That is a great team name too.

Amanda said...

How fun is that?! Love all the puns ;)

Becky said...

I'm a recreation therapist in FL and work with athletes with physical disabilities agest 5 and up. Curling is NOT the only winter sport for athletes who are chair users. Dakin could also ski :) Check out paralympicsporttv.com for coverage of the Paralympic Games in March and also see http://www.vancouver2010.com/paralympic-games/ for a description of all the winter sports. I'm excited for Dakin to get involved!!!!

Valerie said...

Isn't it soooo fun to find something to get excited about and work for?! I'm excited for you and Dakin. It sounds great. And your team name sounds wonderful too!

beth said...

As you should be!!! How exciting...he will love it! Can't wait to see videos of Dakin and his soccer ball!

Love Aunt Beth
(Love the name)

Vanessa said...

Go rolling thunder!!! I found your blog thru a friend here in winnipeg, manitoba, canada who lost her daughter to sma this past spring. I check your blog every morning when I come into work you always warm my heart and have such beautiful words. Once again go rolling thunder!

Kristen said...

That sounds like an 'awesome' plan! Can't wait to see it happen!

Sara said...

Awesome, indeed, my friend! Love the name!!

Bugg's mama said...

Oh, yes, this boy is certainly precious! So cute! I have a special boy - Bugg - he's 3 and is in a wheelchair. It's a good & crazy life! Glad to meet you!

Devon said...

Becky: cool! Thank you!!! I wanted to show Dakin the athletes in chairs but had no idea where to find them! I'm excited!!!

And thanks for the info!