Thursday, January 29, 2009

Democracy in Action

A few weeks back I contacted Senator John Cornyn (our senator--TX) about the SMA Treatment Acceleration Act. We got an email back from him today. I'm sure it's probably a form email, but I felt it sounded positive, and since Senator Cornyn isn't on the list of Senators already endorsing the act I am hoping our writing in will, in some small way, help get him on board. Here it is:

Thank you for contacting me about the SMA Treatment Acceleration Act (S. 2042). I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this issue. As you may know, S. 2042 was introduced in the Senate on September 12, 2007. S. 2042 would authorize the Secretary of Health and Human Services to conduct activities to rapidly advance treatments for spinal muscular atrophy, neuromuscular disease, and other pediatric diseases. Though S. 2042 was not enacted prior to the adjournment of the 110th Congress, you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind should the Senate consider relevant legislation during the 111th Congress.

I strongly support the goals of medical research, prevention, and successful treatment. America’s commitment to medical research and development demonstrates our resolve to understand and combat these terrible diseases, discover effective treatments, and improve the health of all Americans.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

Pretty cool, eh? I'm excited. Yay Democracy! If you are interested in writing to your own representatives, you can find the info regarding the SMA Treatment Acceleration Act and how to contact your reps here: look at the sidebar. It doesn't take long, and it makes a difference!

Also, Dakin fell asleep in a cute position today, and I thought you all might enjoy his picture. Sorry it's so dark!

4 comments:

Junior said...

Awww such a cute picture

Kimberley said...

Devon, what a sweet picture! You'll cherish that one for the years to come!

Congrats on the reply from your senator!

Josie said...

He is seriosly such a sweetheart! I hope things start going your way and continue!

Keri said...

I totally did it and I did it for Dakin. I signed the petition. Hope more people jump on board and the numbers soar.